We often doubt the effectiveness of the automated watering system and end up not getting one. Perhaps, you got one but you still don’t understand the mechanism and you lack trust in the system or maybe you know nothing about automated watering systems and you seek knowledge. Well, if you fall in any of those categories, then you are at the right place no doubt because this article will clarify your thoughts about automated watering systems if truly they work the way we think.
Definition, Merits & Demerits
Automated watering systems are referred to as the operation of a watering system with a minimum of manual intervention and less labor. Any watering system can be made automated with the use of timers, sensors or mechanical or computer appliances. This way, the irrigation process is more efficient as you or your laborers can focus on more important tasks. The automatic mode of operation eliminates manual operation and surveillance.
These automated systems can start and stop exactly how programmed. Also, it increases the efficiency of water and fertilizers. In contrast, a system with many merits comes with a lot of values attached. It can be very expensive and very complex in design which needs an expert to help jump-start it. Also, most automated watering systems need a stable power supply.
Basic Mechanism; How They Work?
Knowing how things are made and designed helps in understanding its capacity and how it can be used to effectively attain the maximum function. The automated watering system comes in many designs and form but they all stick to a basic principle that allows water to flow at key intervals and also when it stops.
Firstly, an automatic sprinkler valve controls the flow of water from the mainline to each zone. The sprinkler manifold is the arrangement of closely grouped sprinkler valves. The sprinkler wire connects each sprinkler valve to the sprinkler timer or a mechanical device.
The sprinkler timer does its work by instructing each valve to open, run and close at a specific time. Some sprinkler timer is connected to some smart device to be able to detect the right time and weather condition and also control the viscosity. These are the basic principles of an automated watering system, the features differ from each company’s make and design, but your choice in an automated watering system determines the features you desire.
Effectiveness And Maintenance Of Automated Watering Systems
Well, still having doubts about automated watering systems? The effectiveness of automated watering systems depends mainly on the consumer. Many users buy sprinkler systems (used for large areas) for a lawn and they experience soggy soil after irrigation, others buy a drip irrigation system (used for the small yard) for large farmland and they notice some plants or flowers are not watered. In other words, the effectiveness of an automated watering depends on you and how you plan to utilize it. Various things to note to properly maintain automated watering systems in other to effectively use are;
- Ensure you get the right system for the right purpose or consult an expert to survey and recommend the right system for your proposed location. Also as you make changes to your garden space ensure you make an equivalent change for your automated watering system.
- Automated watering systems offer the benefit of programmable controllers, make sure you set this correctly and adjust it as condition changes or install a smart device for automatic adjustment.
- Water your garden early in the morning to reduce the evaporation rate. This makes the plants take in a lot of water as they can before the sun comes up.
Ensure pipes are indestructible by rodents or your location is rodent-free, to prevent pipe leakage or damaged pipes.
- When rain falls frequently, be sure to minimize or adjust the flow of your system or install a rain sensor or a soil moisture sensor to regulate the flow of water during these conditions automatically.
- Wastage of water and soggy soil is mostly caused by a bad sensor. Always ensure your sensor is effectively functioning. Firstly, check and monitor the rain sensor, which is responsible for detecting the amount of rainfall at a specific period. Furthermore, you must pay attention to the soil moisture sensor, this helps to determine the amount of moisture in the soil.
- Also, you must know how much water your plants need, the duration time for your system water flow in respect to the plants is very vital to ensure your system is effectively utilized.
- Finally, conduct regular maintenance: Always clean the filter to keep the flow unobstructed by any debris. Besides, you should always have a spare battery for your timer. Also, if you have any leaks or damage, it should be fixed immediately.
As technology advances so do the world. An automated watering system is made to conserve energy and time and they work effectively. This article laid down the rudiments of its basic mechanism; it explained how a basic automated watering system works, the science behind it and the major components were explained as well as their uses were well defined.
Also, as was stated earlier, understanding the operating principle of a device helps you understand the usage of that device. It will help you discover a lot about your system to the extent of fixing problems yourself, you can easily detect and troubleshoot issues. Furthermore, the effectiveness and maintenance of a system were discussed.
Effectiveness of a device is a query every consumer and producer should have in mind. The usage of an automated watering system determines its effectiveness. Also, an effective automated watering system can be measured by its maintenance. Maintaining a system can be tasking but its outcome is worth it, as the benefit is tremendous.
Finally, an automated watering system works effectively if and only if it is properly installed, the user knows the basic or the full knowledge about it and also maintenance must be carried out frequently.